The VIII Energy Week took place from November 6 to 10, 2023 in the city of Montevideo, Uruguay. It was organised by the Latin American Energy Organization (Olade), the Ministry of Industry, Energy and Mining of Uruguay and the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), and held in conjunction with the IRENA’s Investment Forum.
GET.transform contributed to the conference with two dedicated side events: the Forum of Electricity Operators and the Forum of Energy Regulators. With 60 attendees from different countries across the region, the fora explored different challenges and opportunities the energy transition provides to grid operators and regulators in Latin America and the Caribbean. Sharing best practices with the aim to foster regional integration, countries presented their perspectives on the issues as well as the potential for joint solutions.
The participants exchanged on grid integration of variable renewable energies, the need for modernised infrastructure, system flexibility and storage, and options to expand regional coordination at a supra-national level while maintaining national energy sovereignty.
- César Butrón, President of the Board, COES, Peru
- Ruben Chaer, Technical and National Distribution Manager, ADME, Uruguay
- Juan Carlos Olmedo, President, CEN, Chile
- Silvia Alvarado, President, AMM, Guatemala
- Sebastian Bonetto, General Manager, CAMMESA, Argentina
- Moderated by: Tulio Alves, Director, Regional Commission of Energy Integration of Latin America (CIER)
- Luis Jesus Sanchez de Tembleque, Executive Secretary, ARIAE
- Agnes da Costa, Director, ANEEL, Brazil
- Juan José Rojas Baltazar, General Manager, OSINERGMIN, Peru
- Silvana Romero, President, URSEA, Uruguay
- Ligia Ventura, Legal Advisor, SIGET, El Salvador
- Lina Escobar, Energy Specialist, BID, Peru
- Moderated by: Mariana Alvarez, Director, GME, and consultant to GET.transform.